Water is a precious resource that we can all help conserve. Doing so has benefits for customers and the environment.
As well as bringing down your water bill, decreasing water use and preventing water waste will reduce the amount of energy needed (and the impacts associated with energy consumption) to deliver this resource from its source to homes and business across parts of the Riverina and South West Slopes.
Below is a range of ways you can help save water.
Around the home
- Fix any leaking taps and toilets to reduce water waste
- Buy water efficient appliances by checking the water rating
- Brush your teeth with the tap off
- Install water-saving shower heads
- Cut shower times to four minutes
- Only run your dishwasher and washing machine when they are fully loaded
- Install a water tank to collect rain which can be used in the house or garden
Around the yard
- Check your sprinklers target the intended area and don't cover footpaths, driveways, roads or hit nearby buildings. Drip irrigation is another good way to ensure you water the intended area
- Use a broom or blower and not a hose to clean concrete areas
- Don't over water you garden and lawn
- Water your garden and lawn in the morning or night to reduce evaporation loss which is more likely to occur during the day
- Use mulch on garden beds to retain moisture and reduce the frequency of watering
- Keep pools covered when not in use to reduce the need for refilling due to water evaporation loss
- Use native or waterwise plants in your garden that require less watering than other varieties