Old Jugiong Water Treatment Plant Demolition
The original Jugiong Water Treatment was constructed in the early 1930s and progressively expanded over the following years to supply a number of towns, villages and farms in the region.
Above: the old treatment plant site
In 1991, the current treatment plant was opened, costing $7 million to construct and doubling the capacity of the old plant, which was decommissioned.
Above: the current treatment plant
The general works of the old Jugiong Treatment Plant Demolition project includes:
- the demolition of the existing Old Jugiong Water Treatment Plant structure
- design and construction of the retaining wall
- material testing
- disposal of asbestos and hazardous waste
- construction of scour protection
- crushing and recycling of concrete
- reinstatement of the site.
AGH Demolition and Asbestos Removal Pty Ltd are the contractors responsible for the demolition works, the retaining wall and removal of material from site and the scour works.
Cardno are the contractors responsible for the scour protection design as the area around the clearwater tank had significantly scoured due to the overflow tank and over an extended period of time, erosion had occurred.
Above: the area near the clearwater tank's overflow before scour works.
Above: the area after scour works have been completed.
AGH Demolition and Asbestos Removal Pty Ltd commenced the demolition works in February 2021, works are due to be completed at the end of the 2021.
The scour works were completed in March 2021.
Above: the old treatment plant site prior to demolition works.
Above: the old treatment plant site as of 28th June 2021.
Removal of the old treatment plant will allow Goldenfields Water to:
- rehabilitate the natural habitat near the Murrumbidgee River and provide erosion protection
- provide space for future construction of new water treatment infrastructure that will help improve the potable water supply to surrounding communities
- safely dispose of all hazardous materials and asbestos in the area
Goldenfields Water Engineer Myrka Robichaud and Engineering Graduate Mitch Farlow take us through the works of the Old Jugiong Water Treatment Plant demolition project.
For more details call 6977 3200 between 9am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.