How We Provide Information

In many instances, customer information relating to a person’s own account, or information that is already publicly available may be provided or access given to documents by simply making a request either in person, verbally or by written application.


What is Government information?

Government information is any record held by an agency, a private sector entity or the State Records Authority to which the agency has an immediate right of access, or a record that is in the possession or under the control of a person in his or her capacity as an officer of the agency. A record means any document or other source of information compiled, recorded or stored in written form or by electronic process, or in any other manner or by any other means.

How is Information made available?

Under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009, Council must release information unless there is an overriding public interest against disclosure. There are four ways in which information held by Goldenfields Water can be accessed by the public:

Mandatory Release

Certain information must be disclosed on our website, free of charge. This includes policy documents, a current Agency Information guide, disclosure log and register of government contracts.

Proactive Release

Council can be asked what information it will make publicly available in addition to the information contained on its website. Frequently requested information or information of public interest may be readily available.

Informal Request

Specific information can be requested from Council. Unless there are good reasons to require a formal application, Goldenfields Water encourages the release of information where possible. Such information could include requests for personal information by the individual concerned.

Formal Application

Specific information that has not otherwise been made available can be formally requested from Council. In some circumstances access to information will require a formal access application. More information is available from the NSW Government Office of Environment and Heritage website.

How do I get information from Goldenfields Water?

Search Council’s website to see if it is already available, if not, then contact Goldenfields Water and ask for the information. Council will decide whether the information you want:

  • Is open access or mandatory release information that is readily available. If it is, we will tell you where and how you can get the information;

  • Should be made available as part of a proactive release of information;

  • Can be disclosed to you through informal release for example where no third party information is involved; or

  • Requires a formal access application, for example because consultation with a third party is required.

If making a formal application, access to documents can be obtained by making a request in writing to the Right to Information Officer. You are required to supply all relevant details and include the application fee. Applications may be lodged in person, faxed or posted to the Right to Information Officer. The Right to Information Officer is available during business hours of 9:00am to 4:30pm.

Please complete the Access Application Form(PDF, 502KB)

Please complete the Decision Review Application Form(PDF, 596KB)

The Right to Information Officer may be contacted the following ways:

By mail:

The Right to Information Officer
Goldenfields Water County Council
PO Box 220

By telephone: 02 6977 3200

By facsimile: 02 6977 3299

By email:

Proof of identity may be required at the time the inquiry is made or the application lodged.

Note: Fees and charges for formal applications will apply.